"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

Saturday, March 27, 2010

money can't buy me love

Lately I've been getting the feeling that my money is more valuable that my time and presence here. Things have been a bit weird and hostile here between David (the headmaster) and the volunteers. We've been trying to talk with him about what he wants and expects from us, but whenever I try to talk with him it gets me nowhere. When we ask him something he goes on and on and it feels like he's lecturing us and treating us as if we're children. He repeats himself and avoids answering our questions and it's extremely frustrating. Another volunteer and myself have starting teaching six of the orphans how to read after school, but we've been facing a lot of problems, mainly because the kids are often working or playing football when we want to teach them. And now David has told us that our method of teaching is wrong and we have to do everything his way.

1 comments:

MandiH said...

Anna I'm so sorry that that's going on. Although I was only there for a few days, I know that wou're talking about. It's a shame, really. If he wants volunteers there, he should know how to handle them and be able to guide them, not lecture and yell at them. That was one of my main frustrations.
I hope it gets better for you!!
-Mandi

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com