"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

Friday, January 15, 2010

You are welcome

I have so much to write about, I don't even know where to start. I guess at the beginning. I arrived here in Ghana Monday night. That night was horrible. There was no one to pick me up. It was about 10 at night and I was so terrified. My phone had no service and everyone who offered to help me wanted money from me. Luckily, an Irish girl who had just arrived as well came to my rescue and let me use her phone to call Pastor Ezekial (who lived near Accra, the capital, where I flew in) who I was originally going to stay with. I didn't have the number for the Agbozume orphanage, where I am now. Anyway, the pastor luckily picked up and was able to pick me up. He took me to a hotel close by to spend the night. The next day, the pastor picked me off and took me to his house. He said David, who is the head of the orphanage and supposed to pick me up, forgot about me because there was a funeral that day. One of the orphans had drowned. I really liked staying with the pastor's family. He lived at a school, so there were lots of children running around yelling, "white person!" (in their local language). He had a son who was around my age and another volunteer from Germany was staying with him as well. The three of us went into the city (Accra). It was so busy. People were selling everything, they would even walk in the middle of the roads trying to sell you things. It was so exhausting and as soon as we came back I had to leave because I was being taken to Agbozume, which is four hours away. I arrived in Agbozume Tuesday night. I have my own room here and live in a compound with other volunteers and some Ghanaians. There are two volunteers from Germany and two from Holland. There are so many children here because the orphanage is also a school. I haven't done much of anything yet, but I'll be an English teacher. These past few days I've been settling in and wandering about, trying to get used to everything. The toilet here is just a hole. It's disgusting, but I have to bear with it. We also don't have running water, so we have to order water (to bathe ourselves with) and people come and fill up a barrel in our room. We also haven't had electricity for two days, which is difficult mostly because I can't use my fan at night. It is so hot here, but in the afternoon it's nice and cooler. I have only really eaten rice ( with spices, fish, etc.) for lunch and dinner so far. I had a coconut the other day and I have bread for breakfast. Last night was awful though. I got extremely sick. I vomited so much, I didn't think it was possible to vomit that much. I still feel nauseus and can't really eat anything. I really hope this doesn't happen often.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hope You are having fun, and learning alot, I am proud to know you Anna. You are a smart and compassionate person, Know that you are missed. :) Safe Journey, ~Rye

Anna said...

thanks for reading, ryan! and thank you, hope you are doing well also.

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com