"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

who knows where the time goes?

In Ghana, the concept of time is so much different than in America (and Europe I am told). I wait a lot here. And when they say ten minutes, they mean half an hour or longer. Right now, I am waiting to do work. Any work, I just want to do something. I've done some office work, but mostly I've been reading, writing, traveling. The children do more work than I do. Life here is more difficult then I imagined it would be. I feel like alien, that I'm the black sheep, the most different. There are other volunteers here and the three working at the orphanage with me are all from Germany. Then, there are three other who are from Holland. I'm the only person here who can only speak one language. At times, I also feel that I'm being immediately stereotyped because I'm American- I have it so easy, I'm spoiled and rich. And maybe it's true. But I'm here and I'm trying. I'm trying to fit in. I'm trying to work.

0 comments:

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com