"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

Monday, February 1, 2010

silence

Yesterday, five of us went to the beach. We ran into a guy that Robert and I met the last time we went to the beach. He was really friendly and interested in European and American culture. He even walked with us to the tro-tro station. This time, he was again really friendly and we talked about the differences between African culture and western culture. We talked about religion, roles of women, and marriage. It was all very fascinating. Then we saw a boy with no hands and one foot. The guy pointed to the small child and said: "Look at that creature! I can't even look at it." It was such a horrible thing to say. I wanted to defend the child and yell at him for calling him a creature, as if he wasn't a human being, a child. I was so angry inside. But I said nothing. And I'm really ashamed of that. I won't let that happen again.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow anna. I'm sorry I'm so late in commenting but you shouldn't feel ashamed. It caught you off guard and that's a tough situation to address after the incident happened. Everyone who knows you, knows you have a huge heart! :) I miss you.

<3 Tara

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com