"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

Sunday, February 28, 2010

I don't think people who hate children should work at an orphanage. There's a man here who works at the orphanage. I don't know exactly what is job is (someone told me he's the "caretaker") and the only thing he seems to do is yell and order the children around. I really dislike him and find him very offensive. He shows no love, empathy or respect for the orphans. He constantly describes them as "thieves, dishonest, dangerous, untrustworthy." Not only is he rude to the children, but I feel that he has been rude to me as well. He likes to find fault in everything I do; I eat with the wrong hand, I don't sweep the right way, I don't eat enough, etc. He's also always laughing at me, and not in a friendly sort of way, but in a condescending way. The volunteers and I just don't understand him. He doesn't seem to understand that they are just children. When we try to help them with chores, he yells at them. If they come over to us while we're eating at lunchtime, he yells at them. When one of the volunteers tried to give them a mirror, he refused to let them keep it because it "would be a bad influence." And the physical abuse is the worst part. What can I do? I know that if I tried to stop it, if I gave the children another punishment, as soon as I leave, they would still be hit. Last night, one of the orphans, Godsway, was being hit during dinner. The sound of the strikes to his arm and his cries was just horrifying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Anna. That is a very difficult situation to be in. I don't know how I could handle hearing or seeing how the children get punished. It's so unfair. I know that it must be ripping your heart out as well. But Anna, just by being there with the kids, you are making a difference. Never forget that. <3 Tara

p.s The only reason I'm doing anonymous is because it won't let me post otherwise.

Anna said...

Thanks Tara :)

Blogasaurus said...

Hi, I work at JSC and know your Dad. My daughter is doing her teaching practicum in Arizona on the Navajo reservation http://eherder.blogspot.com/
And one thought I had was that a photo album might be a way of bringing some reflection to the work. Letting the people there take pictures and share them on line if that is possible. Is there a telecenter near by?
Best,
Jan

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com