"We can do no great things, only small things with great love."

Friday, February 19, 2010

Meet the Orphans

When I first arrived here, I had so many questions about the orphans: Who are they? How old are they? How do they live? What is their story? After a month of living here, I still feel as if I hardly know them. There are about thirty orphans in all (including David's children, who live just as the orphans do). I had originally thought that being an orphan meant that both your parents were deceased. But that is not the case for many of the orphans here. Many of their parents are still alive. For some, their parents are divorced and one or both of the parents have remarried. And their new spouse(s) don't want a child from a previous marriage, so they rather pay to keep the child in an orphanage. This doesn't make any sense to me. The youngest child is four years old (Peace). The next youngest is ten (Delight) and the rest are older. There are only about five girls and the rest are all boys. And most of the them are teenagers and some are even eighteen and older but still going to high school. My goal right now is to interact more with all the orphans. So far, I've been spending the most time with Peace, Delight, Sophia (13), and Mawunyo (12). The other orphans are still warming up to me and I've been finding it really difficult to a build relationship with the others, for many reasons. 1.) there's the language difficulty, sometimes they don't understand my American accent and they often prefer to speak Ewe (pronounced Eh-Way), 2.) they are used to volunteers coming and going and it's probably really difficult to get close to new volunteers knowing that they are just going leave them behind soon, and 3.) I'm not used to dealing with/hanging out with teenage boys. Last night, we tried to have dinner all together with the orphans. But it didn't work. Some of them didn't know and already ate, and they all got their food at different times and all the children were finished eating before we (the volunteers) got our food. Also, the children mostly spoke Ewe and the other volunteers (Debbie, Monique, and Janina) mostly spoke German. Tonight we try again.

7 comments:

MandiH said...

Hello,
I found your blog online. I'm looking into going to the Agbozume orphanage on March 10 for 2 months and I was wondering what you could tell me about it. Is it an experience you are enjoying and something that you would reccomend others to try? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Anna said...

Hey there. Where are you from? Right now, there are three other volunteers with me here (two others are leaving soon). Do you have any ideas what you might want to do here? When I came here, I thought there would be someone who would tell what they needed to help with, but really you can do/help with anything you want. I tried teaching in the Kindergarten classes here, but it didn't work out so I'm going to try teaching English to older kids.

Anonymous said...

I'm 21 and I'm from Philadelphia.
I'm not sure what I want to do while I'm there, but I just got the feeling that you were having a hard time there, or that you weren't enjoying it too much. I'm not much of a self-starter, so I do better with instructions. Would you say that you're enjoying yourself or that it's more stress than you expected? I haven't booked my flight yet, so I guess I'm just nervous about it.

Anna said...

Yeah, to be honest, I've been having a hard time, but I'm learning a lot. I've been so used to taking instructions and being told what to do, so when I arrived here I thought that there would be someone telling me what I would be doing. But the other volunteers and I are trying to work together and figure out we can start some more projects. We're going to be painting the parts of the school soon, and we also want to interact more with the orphans and organize some activities with them.

I think that when and if I have more to do here I'd be a lot happier and I'm hoping that within the next couple of weeks that will happen and I'll be busier.

Anonymous said...

Yea,
I haven't bought my plane ticket yet because I'm just nervous that I won't be able to enjoy myself and get a great experience out of it. I don't like the idea of sitting around a lot, so i guess if you're planning on organizing more activities, that should make it a better time. I guess I should buy my plane ticket... I'm still really nervous. I just hope it will be worth it...
Any advice?
:)

Anna said...

I don't blame you for being nervous. Everything is so new and different here and it will take a while to get used to everything (the heat, the food, the environment, the language, etc.)

MandiH said...

Thank you.
I just bought my plane ticket, so I'll be there on March 11. It's good that I'll somewhat know someone when I get there.
:)
Is there anything that you reccommend that I bring that was not on the packing list?
Or anything you think the program would need that I could easily bring from home?

 
Blogger design by suckmylolly.com